2.6K views

I had to return 3 Christmas gifts, incorrect sizes, that had been purchased at a Kohl's dept store. Their return policy states: "A Kohl's Merchadise Credit will be issued for the value of your Return".

What they fail to tell you is that they will be charging you a 15% transaction fee for each item. No where in the store, online or anywhere else does Kohl's tell you this. I found out the hard way. Because of the "transaction fee" I lost the value of 1 of my gifts.

I returned 3 items, but was only given the value of 2 of them in store credit. All I wanted to do was exchange them or purchase something of the same value but a different brand. What makes matters worse, is that these items were purchased using a Kohl's charge card.

So not only did I lose out on a gift, I am also having to pay for the 3rd item anyway. If Koh'l had this policy posted or noted, it would be adifferent story, but they don't and you do not know it until it's too late.

Comments

I also just returned two items I purchased online with my Kohl's card and as I was putting the receipts up I noticed the return fee charged. That's it, I will not purchase anymore from Kohl's. I'm done.

#1020297

I had exactly the same thing happen. I am appalled.

I was about to place an online order when I realized what they had done.

If something doesn't work out, fit, or for any reason must be returned, you're out the money anyway. I don't believe I will shop at Kohl's again and it wasn't even on a Kohl's charge card.

Poway, California, United States #944377

Kohl's should not be thought of as department store... They are financial institution.

The Bank of Kohl's SUCKS. Will be shredding that card ASAP

Exactly i just returned 2 items and was charged that 15% which is absolutely ridiculous then asked the lady she said oh your still getting back what u should, no I'm not i lost a few bucks there, unfair

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States #923344

Sorry, but I also am agreeing with the original post. I just returned an item for $29.99, and had my original receipt showing NO discounts whatsoever!

When it was returned, I was charged a "transaction discount" of $3.88, and only received a credit of $26.11. What I'm not understanding is how this amount was calculated. It appears to be only a 12.9% fee.

Regardless, nowhere in their return discount policy does it reference this fee. Sounds like a class action law suit in the works.

I worked for Kohl's for nearly 10 years and they DO NOT charge you a transaction fee when you return merchandise. If you used a 15% percent discount when you made a purchase, then that discount also comes off each item you return.

It is NOT a fee. As a former employee, I should know.

Chesapeake, Virginia, United States #828898

There is absolutely no fee I have returned plenty of things they will however say you earned 10 in kohls cash and used it then you will get back 20 instead of 30 and 90% of the time people at the kohls I go to give you a coupon regardless so EVERYONE CLAIMING THERE IS A RETURN FEE IS AN ABSOLUTE DUMAS GO TROLL SOMEWHERE ELSE

to fudecakes Massachusetts, United States #871693

I just returned something that ended up being too big for my son. No Kohl's cash was used during the original purchased and I was charged a 15% return fee.

So, Fudecakes, you are incorrect and the only dumb *** (please learn to spell b/c DUMAS is wrong) and troll here happens to be you.

to fudecakes #1412674

Just returned a top today my receipt says Price 11.99

%TRANS DISC 2.39

SUBTOTAL 9.60

looks like a return fee to me.

Denville, New Jersey, United States #811809

Just went into my local Kohls store in NJ earlier today to return several items. The items were bought without using any promotional discounts, Kohls cash, Kohls charge card etc.

I was charged the transaction fee that was deducted from each item. So yes it does happen and no I will not be shopping there again.

Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States #630607

I just returned clothing that I paid for using my Kohl's charge card. The amound I paid was $29.99.

One would reason that I would receive $29.99 back + tax.

Instead I received a transaction discount of $6.00 or 20% less than I paid. I am cancelling my account and never doing business with them again!

to TwentyPercent #630637

@20 percent, look at the bottom of your original receipt above the total you paid. You will see that you had a 20 percent coupon you used when you purchased the item.

That is why the 20% comes off of the return. You got back exactly what you paid.

to mary #783258

I just returned some items to Kohl's. I didn't have Kohl's cash, coupons, etc.

There is a 15% transaction discount. So don't say I got exactly what I paid --- I DID NOT

to TwentyPercent Sterling, Virginia, United States #1210403

I work at kohls and there is no transaction fee. If you used a percent discount or a coupon that will come off your return amount.

If you earned Kohls cash and your return takes it under the amount it takes to earn it then the Kohls csh will be voided out.

If the return takes it under the qualifying amount and you have used your Kohls cash they will deduct it from your refund. If they didn't then people would buy things and return them just to get the Kohls cash.

happymama58
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #611201

For those of you who called this person IGNORANT and gave all kinds of rationale re: Kohls cash, etc. the same thing happened to me.

I paid cash for the item, received and used NO Kohls cash. I was charged a 15% transaction fee for the return. Their policy (on the original receipt, the return receipt, and their website clearly says "Full Refund". That is NOT true.

Again, I paid full price in cash, used no Kohls cash or other discounts, did not receive Kohls cash. Even if I had, they clearly deduct that as well -- I checked another receipt. I was charged both the Kohls cash used (as I should have been) AND the 15% transaction fee.

If I could show you my receipt here, I would. But the original poster is NOT "ignorant", Gegebean, nor were they "scamming", anonymous.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #611200

Actually to those of you who are being mean and stating this didn't happen... I can tell you that it DOES happen.

I know of at least 3 other people that have had this problem and NO they did not use Kohl's cash or a discount card or any type of discount. It IS a restocking fee and Kohl's DID charge it. So before you go off half-cocked on someone - you need to get your facts straight.

It may be only some stores that do it, I don't know -- but it DOES happen.

to Can't believe everyone is bein #611602

There is NO restocking fee at Kohl's. It is the disvcount from the purchase that is shown as a "transaction fee" on the receipt.

There is NO SUCH THING as a transaction "fee". If you paid with your Kohl's card, they can tell when YOU USED A COUPON and it says "transaction DISCOUNT".

If you really weren't scamming, you could have just EXCHANGED the items for the RIGHT SIZES! ***.

Wow you are ignorant. I bet you also expect to keep your kohls cash after you return everything.

I wish life was like that. God how nice would that be. I could go in and buy like 2000 dollars worth of stuff get 250 in kohls cash and return everything the next day and keep the kohls cash! OMG!

Then if I used a 30% coupon I would get that back in cash! I would never have to really buy anything again!

How wonderful would that be. Everyone would work for free just for me!

The 15% was only taken away from each item because at the time of the purchase, someone was using a coupon. There's no "fee" whoever said that to you or you making the assumption is clearly wrong.